Of the many Jersey Parishes which ran horse shows in the past, St Lawrence Charity Horse Show is now the only Parish Horse Show to have survived. Its 50th Anniversary was celebrated in 2005. Formed in 1955 by Members of the Municipality of St Lawrence and some equine enthusiasts of the Parish, the first meeting of interested parties was held on the forecourt of Three Oaks Garage in St. Lawrence, and as a result the St Lawrence Horse Show and Gymkhana Club was born.
The first show was held in July 1956 at Biles Field, First Tower (now Clos St. Andre). Two years later the show moved to St Andrews Park where for many years the Show and evening fete was a very popular event drawing large crowds. From the start, the intention was to make donations to charity out of funds raised; the first donation being made to a cancer charity.
After some years with an ever-increasing number of entries, a larger showground was needed to enable the Show to have space to accommodate two arenas, working-in areas, marquees as well as parking for the cars and horseboxes, so St Lawrence Horse Show has moved to various locations over the years. Since 1986 – by kind permission of Mr & Mrs Andrew Tait - the St Lawrence Charity Horse Show (as it is now known) has been held at Tamarind in St Peter which offers a large natural showground in a country setting. The 3-day Show consists of showing and show jumping classes for both adults and juniors, as well as inter-island and UK team jumping.
Since 2011 a Heights Jumping Competition for both juniors and seniors has also been held at Tamarind in late May.
The organisers of the two annual events aim not only to provide good competition for the horse and pony world which will be enjoyed by riders and enthusiasts, but also to create a Show which local people and holidaymakers alike will enjoy as spectators.
Since its inception St Lawrence Charity Horse Show has donated in excess of £250,000 to local Jersey Charities (see Donations Made page)
For further information, please contact:
- Mrs Sonia Amy (President)
- Mrs Jennifer Lawson (Chairman)
- Mrs Jenny Leonard (Hon Secretary)